Did you choose to start your collection, or did it just sort of happen? Collecting can be a fun hobby, pastime and even a passion, but regardless of what you collect, why you collect and how long you have been collecting, make sure you collect smart!
Here are some tips for collectors:
1. Buy from the heart. If you find something that you love and can afford, get it! Choose your collectible because you enjoy it, not because you expect future profit from it. Some collections can increase in value over time, but others won’t (think of Beanie Babies).
2. Consider condition. Buy the example that appears to be in the best shape. A cracked or chipped item will have a substantially lower value than an item without cracks or chips. Even if you aren’t purchasing for the investment, it’s always best to choose things that are in good condition.
3. Keep boxes. Many people who purchase items remove them from their boxes right away, throwing the boxes in the trash. Collectibles old and new are always worth more with their boxes – as long as you keep those boxes in good condition as well. If you want the value of the item to increase, keep it in the box safely stored.
4. Care for your collectibles. Research the best way to care for your items. Special glassware should be washing by hand, fragile items should be stored in a closet with plenty of padding. Company websites usually have detailed resources for how to care for specific items.
5. Join the club. Chances are there is a group somewhere with people who love collecting the same items as you. Not only is it a great way to meet new people, but these clubs may also offer special edition items and special news and updates.
Courtesy of About Home