Thinking about starting a collection of some type? Whether you are interested in antiques, instruments, art, jewelry, stamps or other items, there are a variety of ways to get started! Follow these tips and you will have a great collection to show off in no time!
- Learn what you like. What do you like to do? What are you interested in? If you loved toys and games growing up, there is an entire market for vintage toys. If you enjoy traveling, you can collect coins or other memorabilia from around the world. Whatever you like, chances are you can find items for your collection.
- Get advice from fellow collectors. Thanks to the internet, you can find people just like you collecting the same types of items you want to collect. They can offer up what items you can find at the best value, where to find them, how best to take care of the collectibles, etc.
- Set a price limit. It is best to move forward with a plan that includes a budget. If you don’t set a limit on what you are willing to spend, you may be taken advantage of by dealers. Do some research beforehand, focusing on expert opinions, to determine the average price for what it is you are collecting.
- Make your collection unique. Once you learn the ropes and are experienced with pricing, collecting and display, think of ways you can make the collection unique to you. Does it have a focus? For example, if you collect stamps, you could focus your collection on a certain part of the world, or stamps that feature a specific category, like cars.
- Take care of your collectibles. The most important part of being a collector isn’t necessarily tracking certain items down; it is caring for them and keeping them in great condition once they are in your possession. After all, why spend all that time finding the right item, and then throw it in a drawer to get worn, torn and dusty? Find a way to display your collection in your home!
Do you have a collection? What do you collect, and how did you get started?